Newark Talk Forum Index Newark Talk
Remembering Newark New Jersey

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anthony Imperial and the North Newark Assoc.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Newark Talk Forum Index -> Remembering Newark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alain
6 Cups
6 Cups

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Anthony Imperial and the North Newark Assoc. Reply with quote

During the late 1960's and early 70's Anthony was a headliner in the Newark Evening News, almost on a weekly basis.

Is he still around? Is he still active in Newark politics?
Judie
6 Cups
6 Cups

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Anthony Imperial and the North Newark Assoc. Reply with quote

Alain wrote:
During the late 1960's and early 70's Anthony was a headliner in the Newark Evening News, almost on a weekly basis.

Is he still around? Is he still active in Newark politics?

Hi Alain: I believe he passed away. I think his son is now doing the things that his father did. Judie
Janice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Tony Reply with quote

Anthony (Tough Tony) Michael Imperiale
Birth: Jul. 10, 1931
Death: Dec. 26, 1999

Infamous Newark Councilman who organizing an armed defense of vigilantes, to protect the mostly Italian North Ward during the 1967 Newark riots. In 1970, he ran unsuccessfully for mayor against Kenneth Gibson. In that racially charged atmosphere in Newark, many of Newark?s shrinking white population consindered him a hero, while many Newark?s African-American population considered him a racist
Note: h/o Kathleen L. Imperiale

Burial:
Holy Cross Cemetery
North Arlington
Bergen County
New Jersey, USA
Plot: Mausoleum-Section 103 Tier B Grave 5

Record added: Jul 8 2004
By: Richard H.
Alain
6 Cups
6 Cups

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, Janice!

People on this website are so smart and I am very grateful!
Midge
4 Cups
4 Cups

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Anthony Imperial Reply with quote

Yo My brother Billy Clarke was Tony's bodyguard during the time they were trying to build the Kioweda Towers. I have a news paper picture somewhere. If i find it I will post it.
MaryEllen
10 Cups
10 Cups

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonys wife, Louise, was my best friend and sister-in-laws sister. I knew her when I was a teenager and babysat for her son Kenny. She was a good person. Altho I dont think I ever met Tony, alot of people thought the world of him.
Midge
4 Cups
4 Cups

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Big Tony Reply with quote

People liked that he was watching out for his neighborhood. He could be a bit full of himself and the huge 45 he wore in a holster that reached his knees. He really was a character.
Jule Spohn
10 Cups
10 Cups

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live over here in the North Ward - Imperiale's old neck of the woods. Say what you will about Anthony Imperiale but actions speak louder than words. This entire part of Newark (North Ward), as well as down neck (East Ward), survived the atrocities commitied by certain people and groups in this city in the 60's and 70's. The reason that these two areas survived as well as they did, while the rest of Newark was decimated, was because of the actions of Anthony Imperiale and his followers in keeping this area safe and kicking out the would-be trouble makers who were bent on destroying this area as they had others (South, Central, and West, Wards of Newark). It just goes to show what one person can to to protect his family, friends, and neighbors. If there were more people like him in the other Wards perhaps the damage to this city might not have been quite as bad, but everyone else "cut and run" as fast as they could, while he held out as long as he could.
nancy
7 Cups
7 Cups

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jule , i agree with you my mother in law live on north sixth st and she said anthony did a lot to protect the area, HAPPY NEW YEAR
MaryEllen
10 Cups
10 Cups

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jule....again, your right ! He was good for the time and kept alot of people safe. My sister-in-law Molly, Louises sister, use to tell me what he did and how he would take a lady to where ever she wanted to go safely,he helped many people get around either with him or his helpers.
Have a good day Jule!
Mary Ellen
Judie
6 Cups
6 Cups

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jule: You were correct, at that time I lived in Stephen Crane Village, and we had no fears at all. He told everyone that he would protect the area, and he did. He was a man of his word. He did a great job. Judie
MaryEllen
10 Cups
10 Cups

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jule, when I refer to Louise, her name was Kathleen Louise but everyone called her Louise. In fact Molly sent me some pictures of her grandkids and one young lady in particular, Kayla, looks very much like Louise.I hadn't thought of Loiuse in years but looking at Kayla...brought Louise to my mind.I was in her home on Ridge St, I believe that was the street they lived on. I always liked Louise...she was a good person which I said that before. Must be my age...I am repeating myself!!!
Bye,
Mary Ellen
Cathy Bennett
1 Cup
1 Cup

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Anthony Imperiale Reply with quote

Born and raised on Mt Prospect Ave near Heller Pkwy, I always felt safe knowing "Tony" and his men were protecting us. Don't know what went on behind the scenes, and don't really care, but he kept his promises and did his job well.
...and MaryEllen, thanks for the "Happy New Year" im...same back to you and yours...and everyone here on Newark Talk. Very Happy
Midge
4 Cups
4 Cups

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Tony I Reply with quote

Wow you guys!!!! I wasn't attacking him or what he did, we all felt safer knowing he was watching out for us. I just said he was a character
and he was,but not in a bad way .Perhaps in a Daimon Ryan kind of way.

Midge
4 Cups
4 Cups

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse spelling please!!! Runyon not Ryan
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Newark Talk Forum Index -> Remembering Newark All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: